Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: Pocket Star Books
Released Date: June 29, 2010
Format: Mass-market Paperbacks
ELAINA MCCORD WANTS TO FIND A KILLER.
BUT HE’S ALREADY FOUND HER.
Elaina McCord’s dream of being an FBI profiler is in danger with her first case—investigating a string of murders near a Texas beach resort. The victims, all young women, were drugged and brutally murdered, their bodies abandoned in desolate marshland. Elaina’s hunch—met with disbelief by local police—is that these are only the latest offerings from a serial killer who has been perfecting his art for years, growing bolder and more cunning with each strike.
True-crime writer Troy Stockton has a reputation as an irresistible playboy who gets his story at any cost. He’s the last person Elaina should trust, let alone be attracted to. But right now Troy, along with the elite team of forensics experts known as the Tracers, are her only allies in a case that’s turning dangerously personal. A killer is reaching out to Elaina, taunting her, letting her know how ruthless he is and how close he’s getting. Now it’s not just her career that’s in danger—it’s her life. . . .
Get to know the Author of the Day.
Over the Edge Book Reviews
I love being able to meet people from all walks of life and pump them for information in the name of book research! Everyone is an expert on something, and it’s fun to hear about what they do.
2. Do you have a favorite motto?
Carpe diem. Seize the day.
3. Do you have a favorite fictional hero? Favorite fictional heroine?
So many! I love Kay Scarpetta (by Patricia Cornwell) and Tempe Brennan (Kathy Reich’s heroine). Men? One of my favorite fictional detectives is Harry Bosch (from Michael Connelly’s series).
4. Which fictional character would you hang out with?
I would have to say Odd Thomas, from the books by Dean Koontz. He can see dead people, which would lead to some truly interesting adventures, I’m sure.
5. What is one of your favorite book covers, your own or someone else’s?
Well, I just got the German edition of my book WHISPER OF WARNING (which has been re-named Der stumme Ruf der Nacht for German audiences) and I was just stunned by how beautiful it is. It’s black with this white calla lily and blood-red lettering… Wow. I understand that German readers like dark suspense, and that’s just what this cover conveys.
6. What would readers be surprised to learn about you?
Probably that although all my books are set in Texas (mostly) I’ve lived all over the world… Argentina, Austria, the Philippines.
7. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever learned by Googling your name?
Well, it seems I think Miley Cyrus “stole” my boyfriend?? I saw that headline once, but I’m pretty sure they were writing about someone else with my name.
8. Laura, please tell us more about your recent release, “UNSPEAKABLE”.
I grew up on the Texas coast, and I have always wanted to write a dark murder mystery set there. The setting can be really ominous. And I knew I wanted a fish-out-of-water detective down there investigating, so that’s how rookie FBI agent Elaina McCord came onto the scene. She’s smart, resourceful, and way in over her head with this case—which is why she needs Troy Stockton (a true crime writer who is investigating the same string of murders) to help her navigate the local politics.
9. Which do you find is most important to you as a writer, voice or story? Why? I think voice matters most.
There are some writers who are so entertaining, you practically want to read their grocery list. It’s all about the voice, I think.
10. Laura, please tell us where we can find you out in cyber world. For desperate readers like me, we just have to know…:)
I spend most of my cyber time hanging out over at Murder She Writes with some of my favorite suspense authors (http://www.murdershewrites.com/). And of course, my own Web site (http://www.lauragriffin.com/) where I love to chat with readers. Drop on by!
11. I know this is a difficult question with there being so many amazing authors out there to choose from but who are some of the GOT-TO-HAVE authors in your TBR pile?
Like many avid readers, I have certain authors on auto-buy. (Actually, a lot of authors, come to think of it, which explains where all my money goes. :) They include Linda Howard, Lisa Gardner, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Kathy Reichs … and those are just a few of the women! Also, Lee Child, Stephen King, Scott Turow…
12. What’s next in the works for you? When can readers expect to see it out on shelves in their local bookstores?
Next up is a novella that I wrote for an anthology with Sherrilyn Kenyon and Cindy Gerard. The book is DEADLY PROMISES, and it comes out in September. Also, the next full-length Tracers book, UNFORGIVABLE, comes out this fall. People have been asking me about Mia’s story, and UNFORGIVABLE is her book.
I’d like to thank Laura Griffin for stopping by and spending time with us, it’s been a blast getting to know more about you and your books. I wish you all the best and much success in everything you do. :)
Two randomly selected commenters will win a copy of "Unspeakable: book two in The Tracer series" by author Laura Griffin by Pocket Star Books. To enter here are a few simple rules.
* +2 Leave a comment for Laura Griffin including email.
* +2 Spread the Word! ( this means go out into cyber world and post it on any network sites that your are a member of, or on your blog or website. +2 Then come back and leave a link so I can verify the post.)
*Follow me on Twitter. (+5)
* Friend me on Facebook. (+5)
* Become a follower of Over The Edge! (+3 Already a follower--You ROCK! +2 Become a follower.)
The giveaway is open to all and will be running until August 22, 2010. I'll be picking and contacting the winner directly on August 23, 2010. Please make sure to include your email with your comment. Happy Reading!